My sister-in-law had her birthday a couple weeks ago, and I got volunteered to make three types of dessert — blondies, regular chocolate brownies, and lemon brownies. I had fun with it, and decided the best recipe was this one. I meant to take better pictures, but the guests were eager to eat, so…
Enjoy! (There’s a lot of sugar, so you probably will)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) soft butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 eggs*
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar until combined, then add the lemon zest and lemon juice. Beat in the eggs one at a time until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients in slowly, but not overmixing.
- Pour the batter in a greased 9×13″ baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. When you stick a toothpick in, it should come out gummy, but not with batter on it. Don’t overbake, or it will be cakey.
- Allow to cool before adding any glaze. If you want a lemon glaze, mix 2 cups powdered sugar, 3 tbsp lemon zest, and 3-4 tbsp lemon juice. Spread over the brownies.
*Honestly, you can use 4 eggs, just decrease the flour to 1 1/2 cups. I think the extra egg is nice, but I mean, hey, it’s another egg you won’t have for omelettes.
Thank you for reading! Have a wonderful day.